A GROWING TREND
Medical tattoos are growing in popularity.
Many folks are getting them to replace medical alert bracelets.
- Diabetics may get a tattoo of a syringe with the word insulin written in it or list the type of diabetes (ie: type one or two)
- Lists of allergies (ie: bee stings)
- Medical conditions (ie: asthma)
- No procedures on a specific body part (ie: blood draws)
- Organ donor
TATTOOS AND THE LAW
- A bracelet can be taken off but a tattoo is not so easy.
- So, if your medical condition changes, how can you update the tattoo?
- For now, paramedics are not on the lookout for medical tattoos.
- Even if they find one, it’s not known if they follow the wishes.
- (Think: Do Not Resuscitate.)
ON THE OTHER HAND
Tattoos have become increasingly used to camouflage burns and other skin conditions.